Monday, December 26, 2011

'Tis the Season

    Being a Buddhist I always feel a little left out this time of year. The idea of a person giving out presents to children is not unique to Christianity. In Buddhism there is the bodhisattva Budai (10th c. CE), also known as the Laughing Buddha. When most people think of a fat jolly Buddha this is who they are thinking of. Traditionally he is depicted as carrying is few belongings in a bindle, waking the countryside giving candy to children.
     In many religions it seems that the idea of generosity, lovingkindness, and a time of merriment and gift giving, In the more northern areas I can understand why that would come around the winter solstice. The long cold dark times are when people could need to come together to make it through the more lean times that are coming after the bounty of the harvest. in modern times we seems to have lost the need for that. I got together with some friends on Friday, but the rest of the long weekend I'm spending alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment